The project began in 1990 and GEC has been the prime consulting engineer, responsible for construction inspection for all City of Baton Rouge Street Improvements since 1991. Recently the City passed a renewal of the Sales Tax Street and Road Rehabilitation Program which extended the roadway improvement program for five more years and selected GEC as the prime consultant to provide inspection services. The contract calls for GEC to provide one project engineer, one senior chief inspector, and two chief inspectors. These inspectors must be certified by LaDOTD in both asphalt and concrete construction. In addition, GEC provides between 5 and 6 inspectors certified by LaDOTD in Asphaltic Concrete Paving, Portland Cement Concrete Paving or Embankment and Base Course construction. Several inspectors are certified in more than one category.
Construction engineering services include:
- Conducting a pre-construction conference.
- Providing full time inspection by certified inspectors
- Weekly progress reports.
- Administration of multiple contractors.
- Review and approval of pay estimate.
- Issuing work directives.
- Daily meetings with Program Director and Field Coordinator.
- Prepare a pre-final punch list.
- Conduct final inspection and project close out.
- Conduct one-year warranty inspection.
- Coordinate and oversee field and plant inspection services by sub-consultants.